Well here I am, blogging for the first time and the only real thought on my mind is what to blog about ... and that I really hate the word blog, it just sounds stupid.
Anyways, I've been running it round and round in my head and realised that the odds are this would turn into an endless rant about things that annoy me, mostly movies and the like. The problem is that I am now in direct contact with several of those things that annoy me so ranting about them in this way could come back to bite me in the arse, as they say. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of things I could rant about without having to worry, and I certainly have plenty of venom to spray around. Other than that I'm occasionally up to something interesting in the world of film and I'm sure something worth blogging about will happen sooner or later.
All in all this blog will probably end up with it's fair share of opinion but there's a few other things I figured I'd write about, the first being the not particularly original concept of writing up the story of a game I'm currently running with my friends. The game in question is 'Rifts', more or less, and the reason this idea appealed to me is because it's actually pretty funny and when relaying the story in the pub it usually gets a laugh.
For non-gamers when I saw gaming we're talking about 'Dungeons & Dragons' dice rolling nerditude rather than sitting in front of the TV without a controller in your hand. In short 'Rifts' is essentially the same design but set in a future where a nuclear cataclysm has taken place and thoughtfully rather than wiping out all life it tore holes into infinite dimensions which caused all manner of bizarre creatures to spread across the world as well as creating magic, psychic powers and mutations as well as the range of advanced technology available. Basically rifts has most everything.
That description is probably not particularly accurate and in no way do I claim to be particularly knowledgeable in regards to the mythology of the game, in fact I barely know it at all and could very well have just made all the above up, but none the less I run a game that a handful of my friends play and the reason I think it will interest people is that we don't really know what we're doing. We don't particularly know the rules and the party spends a fair portion of its time stabbing each other in the back, mugging old ladies and generally ignoring whatever it is they're supposed to be doing in favour of getting drunk and causing trouble. In that design I've tried to write a game for us to play that basically a big open world where they can do whatever they like, and they generally do.
If it entertains us it might entertain you so I will start posting the story of the game, starting with my next post which will explain the characters and the setting. It won't be especially regular as we don't play to any strict schedule but it'll crop up amongst the rest of my posts.
Keep an eye on the next post to begin this story, and plenty else will be going up assuming I don't forget all about this like I did my MySpace account, and more recently my Twitter. Fingers crossed this will continue.
Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment